Contract: Permanent, Full time.
Initial salary: £24,000 - £26,500, dependent on experience.
Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK.
Gnosys Global are seeking a Research Technologist to support scientific research and innovation across a range of material development activities, in addition to organising effective laboratory management. To apply, please send a CV, contact details and relevant supporting information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until Friday 17th November 2017.
Gnosys Global Ltd. is a small enterprise that undertakes materials research, development, innovation and testing, located on the Surrey Research Park, Guildford. Gnosys’ staff currently includes a team of project scientists active in materials research and development, working in laboratories supporting chemical synthesis, nanocomposite preparation, polymer processing and analytical services.
Analysis and testing in support of project activity and client services
- Spectroscopic analysis of materials
- Interpretation of spectroscopic results and quantitative analysis
- Thermal, mechanical and electrical analysis of materials
- Reporting of analytical results to colleagues and clients in formats consistent with ISO certification
- Definition of new, application-directed test protocols
Material production and formulation in support of project activity
- Chemical synthesis using a range of small to medium (to multi-kilogram) scale preparation and purification techniques
- Polymer blend and composite production
- Polymer melt processing
- Accurate reporting of procedures and participation in process development
Laboratory and management
- Maintaining function and calibration of laboratory equipment consistent with ISO certification
- Procurement of laboratory consumables and laboratory inventory management
- Waste management
- Health and safety policy development, oversight and enforcement
The successful applicant will have the following qualifications and skills:
- A Bachelors or Masters degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related discipline, OR a HND/C plus at least 2 years’ experience in materials development, analysis or applied science;
- Working knowledge and experience of practical chemistry techniques, as well as the capacity to learn and accurately reproduce new procedures and maintenance protocols;
- A strong, demonstrable appreciation and understanding of health and safety requirements and safe working practices;
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software, as well as the capacity to learn analysis and reporting software as required;
- Ability to communicate results, their interpretation, protocols and technical issues accurately and to a high standard;
- Confidence to provide instruction in relevant procedures and to participate in experimental design;
- Strong self-motivation and time-management skills to independently organise and appropriately prioritise tasks;
- Ability to keep precise records and to organise and securely store commercially sensitive data;
- Flexibility to work in parallel on a variety of tasks and to coordinate activities across multiple locations when required.
- Experience as a laboratory technician in an academic or industrial environment;
- Experience of electrical equipment maintenance and improvement;
- Experience of procurement and inventory management;
- Experience of safe handling of hazardous substances;
Experience of performing material physical property measurement and of presenting and interpreting results.
Download a PDF with details of this position: Research Technologist: Gnosys Global Ltd.